I have Molly Watson to thank for the inspiration here. Years ago she created a miso-harissa slather she used on roasted delicata squash. This was a combination of ingredients that had never crossed my mind, but sounded fan-tas-tic. Building on her idea, I decided to do a roasted delicata squash platter of sorts. I used the pretty, scalloped-edged cross-cuts of the delicata squash, a few small potatoes, chopped kale, radishes, Marcona almonds and her miso + harissa idea. You know it was good, right? It really was.
The flavor was bold and vibrant and it was a breeze to make – no need to peel this type of squash. The vibrant yellow-rimmed slices along with pink-skinned radishes and flecks of green kale were a nice way to bring some color to the winter table.
Roasted Delicata Squash: Variations
You can do endless riffs on this depending on what you have on hand, or what is in season. Here, I reached for kale to get some green in the mix, and the nuts for their texture and crunch, but feel free to play around with general idea. here are a few ideas people have mentioned in the comments!
- Sweet & salty: Sagan comments about a related recipe she loves, “I had a recipe on the menu a few years back that had roasted squash, sliced like yours, with pickled red onions, peanuts, and salad greens. the dressing mostly from the pickled onion juice, so a little sweet and salty.”
- Wild style: Kate got a little wild! “ I improvised wildly based on what was in my kitchen, and got this: acorn squash with red potatoes, tossed in a mixture of golden miso, pickapeppa sauce, sriracha, and black olive paste. Swiss chard, tossed with the lemon juice and my version of the miso sauce, with radishes and regular toasted almonds. I thought it was going to be weird but it was great!”
- Sweet potato: Esther struck out on the delicata front, but reports back, “I couldn’t find delicata so made this with sweet potato instead – which was delicious!”
More delicata squash recipes
- Roasted Vegetable Orzo
- Miso Sesame Winter Squash
- A list of delicata squash recipes
- Green Curry Porridge